Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Home at Last

Hi all

We finally made it home safe and sound. A woke up really grumpy yesterday but when he figured out we weren't taking him back to the hospital he got much happier. He slept some of the way home and watched Sesame Street DVD's the rest of the way. He was so happy to be home that when I brought him in the house and took him in his room for a diaper change he gave me a big kiss.

I put him down on the floor to help Clint unload the truck, thinking he was safe, and would stay put he barely touched the floor when he turned over started to crawl towards the couch and then pulled himself up to standing. Clint and I just stood in amazement. He shows very little signs of being in pain.

After A had a nap and a bath we snuggled in to watch a movie and eat some popcorn. Once the popcorn was gone A was crawling all over his parents, pulling the puppy dog's ears and generally enjoying being home. He had a great big smile on his face everytime I looked at him. I even saw a little glint of mischief. It is so wonderful.

A is going to be in the fashion show at the GP woman's show the weekend of April 23. He will be modelling swim diapers. I am so happy to be doing this, I feel it's a statement. Who would've thought a cancer patient would be in a fashion show less than two weeks after major surgery and of course it a celebration because we didn't have to do chemo. Also he had his cloth diapers delivered last night and is so happy to be back in them.

Clint and I are filled with joy and gratitude. We feel completely blessed by this beautiful resilent child that we were given. We do feel we made a difference in A's recovery by being positive and loving. We believed he was going to be okay, he was going to conquer his cancer and go on to have a long and healthy life. We still believe this and affirm it every day. I know when I got the diagnosis of Beckwith's I felt a little like it was bad news. Now I can say it was a blessing. I thank God that they had a diagnosis that gave us a testing protocol. I am grateful they have done so much research so they knew how to treat his cancer. I feel knowledge was a powerful tool for us.

Clint and I also feel that this experience with A has been postitive, it showed us what was important in life, it refined our vision of our future. We realized that love will help us through much more than anger. We take great joy in every little smile and progress in our son every little thing is that much more precious. We also felt very loved and supported so Thank you all. A is very lucky to have so many of you care about him. I feel that you all made a difference in our outcome as well.

A still has some recovery in front of him. He isn't quite eating normally yet, nor is his body quite up to functioning perfectly but I am sure it will come, we are trying to feed him stuff easy on his tummy and are very carefully transitioning him back to his former diet. Last night he was quite restless because his tummy was bothering him. But all of this is to be expected.

I hope soon to have some AFP results to confirm A is completely healthy.

Thank you all again.

Miracles do happen if you believe.

Carrieann, Clint and A

No comments:

Post a Comment