Monday, April 12, 2010

Our Little Miracle

So here's the deal after the pathology report came back they discovered that A has Pure Fetal Epithelial Hepatoblastoma. When they removed the tumor they got all of it and have nice clean margins, that means it is stage I pure fetal epithelial hepatoblastoma, and it's the only hepatoblastoma that is 95% treatable by surgery alone. So they saw no need to go ahead with chemotherapy, and he was doing so well otherwise they felt it was fine to release him.

Of course with cancer they don't say he is cured there is always a risk, so they left his IVAD in and he will have blood tests for the next 12 weeks to monitor his AFP levels, if they go up, or another tumor appears we could start this process all over, and A also still has a chance for the kidney tumors. They will monitor him till about age 8 for sure.

That aside this is a miracle to us, we didn't even know this type of hepatoblastoma even existed, I remember specifically asking his oncologist in the beginning and his answer was everyone gets chemo. So it was like a dream, I think my first instinct was to take my son and run, before they changed their mind, I don't know when it will really sink in. Maybe when I get him home. I know there were many tears of happiness.

I am overwhelmed with gratitude. To God, to the Universe, to the Doctor's, to clint's job so he could transfer here, to all of you who prayed, kept positive thoughts and supported us through this journey, and of course to J and his family thank you again. I am so happy my little boy doesn't have to go through the ordeal of chemo and perhaps get even sicker. I am so ecstatic I am taking home a healthy beautiful little boy, who no doubt within a few days will be raising mischief in my life again.

I am looking forward to resuming our lives again. We plan to continue to stay positive and keep praying for health for my little boy. We are going to focus on the 95% rate and let the Dr's worry about the 5%.

A is very sore and grumpy today, he had had enough of the hospital, if any staff came in he cried today. Every time you move him he cries, which is all normal considering he went through major surgery and poking and prodding. They sent me home with some pain meds for him, and I am sure he will be much more settled when we get home and get him in his own bed.

But Miracles happen and we can never give up hope. I believe a lot of A's health comes from a lot of good management from his parents so that he gets the best care possible, and a big stategy for us was stay positive and believe.

Again I can't express enough gratitude to J, who provided us with a bed, with care relief, food and even took care of the dog. He gave us so much and let us disrupt his life so much I am ever so grateful I hope one day I am able to give back as much as I have been given.

When I first considered a blog I had issues putting A's info on the net, I wasn't sure even as his mom that I was comfortable with breaking his privacy like that, but I felt that he had so many people who loved him and who were worried that I wanted them to be informed so instead of worry they could have some peace of mind that their prayers were working. I believe they did and I am glad I did the blog. We will probably shut down the site in a couple days when we are sure everyone is updated, and then I will send an email out on his progress.

But again thank for praying, thanks for caring about my beautiful little boy, I will make sure that he grows up knowing he is incredibly loved and cared for from far and wide. And a whole lot of people were cheering for him.


Love
Carrieann c/o Clint and A

No comments:

Post a Comment